Gulf Pointe Surgical Specialists is located in Port Charlotte, FL and serves patients from Charlotte, DeSoto, Highland, Sarasota and Lee counties. We offer several types of bariatric surgery including Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass (also called Roux-en-Y). Both of these surgeries are highly successful tools, along with a healthy lifestyle, used to help patients lose weight and keep it off. All weight loss surgeries essentially work by helping you limit calories. In both the Gastric Bypass and the Gastric Sleeve procedures, a smaller stomach is created helping you feel full faster, and therefore eat less. Additionally, each surgery offers an additional weight loss mechanism. You should discuss all your surgical options for weight loss with your surgeon to determine which procedure is right for you.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Dr. Dilendra Weerasinghe is a board-certified general surgeon, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery accredited in bariatrics, who specializes in advanced, minimally invasive surgery. He is also fellowship trained in Bariatrics. Most patients are able to have either the Gastric Bypass or the Gastric Sleeve using a laparoscopic technique. This allows Dr. Weerasinghe to work using long instruments placed in the body via incisions a few centimeters long. In some cases, the surgery will be performed “open,” with the traditional larger incision, or a surgery that begins laparoscopically may be converted to the open procedure if necessary.
Lose More than Weight
In general, weight loss surgery has proven to be the most effective and long-lasting treatment for morbid obesity. According to the National Institutes of Health, bariatric surgery is the only proven weight loss method for those suffering from morbid obesity, defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more, or a BMI between 35-39 with co-morbid conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc.
Some of the co-morbidities (related health problems) that can be improved or cured with weight loss surgery:
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Improved blood glucose (blood sugar) levels, potentially preventing type 2 diabetes
- Lessened or eliminated asthma attacks
- Improved sleep, lessened potential for sleep apnea and snoring
- Relief from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and heartburn
- Improved bladder control
- Comfort and relief from lower back pain, inflammation and degenerative diseases
- Improved metabolic health
- For women, lessened menstrual dysfunction and improved fertility health
- Relief from migraine headaches and depression
- Enhanced quality of life and longevity
- Resolved depression