Depending on your individual health needs, gastric bypass surgery can be a great way for taking long-term control of a person’s weight. The Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass is a considerable weight loss procedure that requires patients to make lifestyle changes. Results can differ between patients, but the zone for maximum weight loss is around the 15-month mark.
To perform the Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass, our weight loss surgeons create a small pouch in the upper area of the stomach. The surgeon divides the small intestine at its upper end and connects it to the pouch. This new pouch moves food straight to the small intestine and away from the stomach, hence the name “gastric bypass.” When food moves directly to the small intestine, your body reacts to hormones and feels full. This procedure may also increase your metabolism, which can increase your weight loss.
Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Benefits
- Procedure can reduce a patient’s hunger sensation.
- This procedure leads to greatest potential weight loss.
- This weight loss surgery can improve overall health conditions including diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea.
- Our weight loss surgeons can perform this procedure using robotic surgery. This technology creates less scarring and can speed up recovery time for our patients.
Gastric Bypass Surgery Potential Risks
All surgery has the potential for difficulties, even weight loss surgery. Our team takes the necessary preventive steps and focuses on patient safety, but obese patients can face greater risks.
This weight loss surgery has the following potential risks:
- This procedure can cause malabsorption, which reduces the amount of calories absorbed by the body. It can also cause vitamin and calcium deficiency. Proper diet and vitamin supplements can help manage malabsorption.
- The consumption of too much sugar or large amounts of food can lead to dumping syndrome.
- Leakage can take place inside the stomach and the small intestine.
- Stretching of the stomach pouch can occur.
- After surgery, the ability to see the lower stomach pouch and parts of the small intestine through imaging equipment will be more difficult. This could be an issue if ulcers, bleeding or malignancy should arise.
You can count on the health care professionals at Gulf Pointe Surgical Specialists to guide and support you throughout every stage of your weight loss journey. Take the first step to a healthier and happier you by checking with your insurance carrier to see if bariatric benefits are included in your plan, then contact us to get started.